International Student Aid
Need and Merit
Washington and Lee University provides both need-based and merit-based assistance to international students in each entering class. Awards range from several thousand dollars to the full annual cost of attendance. Admission to Washington and Lee does not guarantee financial assistance.
Applying for Merit-based Aid
All merit-based aid is awarded through the Johnson Scholarship Program.
Applying for Need-based Aid
The Office of Financial Aid will collect information on the family's financial situation to make a determination regarding eligibility for need-based aid. A complete financial aid application is required if you wish to be considered for need-based grant, but if you would like to see an estimated award please try the W&L International Grant Estimator.
The W&L need-based financial aid application for international students includes the following:
- STEP 1: Complete the 2024-25 CSS/Financial Aid Profile online.
Please see the instructions at the bottom of this page if you have questions about obtaining a CSS Profile fee payment code.
- STEP 2: Submit the 2024-25 W&L International Grant Supplement.
- STEP 3: Monitor the status of your Financial Aid application online by logging into the Applicant Portal on the Financial Aid Tab. All financial aid documents currently required of the student will be listed along with a status of Awaiting or Received. W&L documents can be submitted via electronic upload.
- STEP 4: Aid awards will be available in your Applicant Portal when released. A paper copy will also be mailed to you. Once you receive your financial aid award, you can make an informed decision about choosing W&L as your home for the next four years!
Deadlines for submitting the W&L International Need-Based Grant Application
- Early Decision Round 1: December 1, 2023
- Early Decision Round 2: January 15, 2024
- Regular Decision: February 15, 2024
International need-based grants are provided for four years based on the evaluation of the initial first-year financial aid application. The award increases dollar for dollar with any increase in W&L tuition. Recipients of an International Grant do not need to provide any additional documentation in subsequent years to continue receiving their award. The International Grant is guaranteed for four years but is not eligible for negotiation once a student accepts the offer of admission. International students who accept the offer of admission without grants are not eligible for grants in subsequent years.
Email the Office of Financial Aid for a discussion of complex questions regarding financial assistance.
CSS Profile Fee Waiver
You may qualify for a W&L-specific fee payment code if the CSS Profile fee poses a financial hardship to your family. To apply for a W&L-specific CSS payment code, you must follow the steps indicated below. Please do not contact the Office of Financial Aid or Admissions to request a CSS fee waiver.
- Submit your application for admission to W&L. Only W&L admission applicants are eligible to receive a fee waiver.
- Once you have received acknowledgment that your admission application has been received, you will need to complete this form: go.china727.net/csswaiver.
- Note: US Citizens are unable to access this form.
- Be Patient. You'll receive an update within 48 hours.
- If approved, you will receive a CSS code which you can use to submit your CSS Profile to W&L. Please be aware that there is no appeal process if your fee waiver request is denied. You will need to purchase the CSS Profile with your own funds.
The only option to receive a fee waiver code is to follow the four steps above. We will be unable to respond to any email requests for a fee waiver.